Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spanish Night Life

I really enjoyed the night life in Spain. First of all, it's important to know that in Spain you don't eat dinner until 9 or 10 at night. Because of this, it's very normal not to go out until midnight or later. There were a few times at the beginning of my trip when I went out before midnight, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy empty bars and closed discotecas.

When you do go out, many Spaniards and internationals alike will start the evening off in a bar. Here you have a few drinks and eat tapas. In Spain (unless you are in a club) you are expected to eat while drinking. In my city, in every bar a free dish came with every single drink each round.

Clubs are fun, and at the beginning of my stay I went to them pretty frequently. After awhile, the excitement died out a little and I only went to them every once and awhile. I did, however, go to Kaptal in Madrid which was a 7 story club. It was a very interesting experience and if you get the chance, I recommend checking it out.

House parties are extremely rare in Spain because, well, there's really no reason to have them when you can go anywhere else to drink. I did go to one once, but I've never heard of anyone else going to one.

My advice: go out with a few friends you're comfortable with and meet natives. Not the creepy, sweaty ones who take of their shirts on the dance floor and grind on everyone and everything in site, but people you have good conversations with. It's a great way to branch out and meet a ton of natives.

Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment